The Library is closed onsite, open online. See updates here.
How to apply
You will receive your Library card number via email (next business day). We will then post the card to you at a later date.
For everyone else, as online resources and collection items are only available to you within the Library, you will need to collect your Library card in person.
With a Library card you can:
- request books and other collection material to use in the Library.
- You can borrow some of the Library's books and other collection material through other libraries. Speak to your public, academic or work library about requesting an inter-library loan.
- access an extensive range of eresources and ebooks, including online access from anywhere if you live in NSW.
- print, scan and photocopy.
- use Library computers.
- book a study room.
- request books from other libraries.
If you live in NSW we can post your card out to you. You should receive it within 10 working days.
Update or renew your Library card
Login to your account via the catalogue to:
- update your email address, phone number and password.
- reset a forgotten password.
Ask a Librarian to renew your card or to update your address.
Need to use special collections material?
You will need a Special Collections card to request and use original material and rare printed material such as manuscripts, maps and pictures.
Visit the Library to get a Special Collections card. You will need to show two forms of identification that together have your:
- current address
You need to be over 18 years of age to get a Special Collections card. Find out more about using the Library’s special collections.
SL public library membership
If you are a member of a participating New South Wales public library, you can register with the State Library of New South Wales for instant access to the Library's eresources. All you need is your public library card!
Need to use other collection material and services? Sign up for additional access.
Contact your public library for more information.