The aim of the talks is to provide community legal education about two important topics.
Two law talks are available for presentation.
- Avoiding scams. Are you worried about sharing private information when you shop or pay your bills online? Have you had a phone call telling you that you need to pay your tax debt now or you’ll be arrested? Scammers are keen to get their hands on our money and our identity details. Hear from a Legal Aid NSW lawyer about how to protect your identity and how the law can help if you get scammed.
- NDIS: how the law can help. Do you want to find out more about the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)? If you have a disability or you’re a participant, carer or family member, it’s important to know your rights. Hear from a Legal Aid NSW lawyer about NDIS basics and how the law can help if you’re not happy with a decision or a provider.
The Law talks program was first introduced in NSW public libraries for Law Week 2019. The Law Week events were very successful, with comments from participating libraries including:
- This event went very well with all participants relating tales of scams and near misses. The speakers were well versed in the subject matter and answered questions throughout the event.
- The presenters were very well organised. knowledgeable and gave a great delivery. The attendees gave very positive feedback and were very interested. Great job!
- The feedback was really positive from the Avoiding Scams workshop. Participants shared their thoughts over a morning tea and the main point from each person was that they had in fact learned something new, and found useful tips for protecting their personal information and felt they were more aware of scams.
These talks are now available to be presented at any time of the year.
To host a talk, complete the expression of interest.
You will then be contacted by Legal Aid NSW who will work with you to finalise the date and other details. Note that while all expressions of interest will be considered, acceptance is dependent on the availability of Legal Aid NSW staff.
Reporting and evaluation
The law talks program is an evaluated program and host libraries are asked to complete an evaluation.