The Library's reading rooms are open. Before you visit, please read Visiting the Library.
Using your Drug Info resources to promote awareness of alcohol and illicit drug use to young people.
Many libraries are involved in events and activities during Youth Week. You can use your Drug Info resources to promote awareness of alcohol as well as illicit drug use during Youth Week and at other times of the year.
Information resources to promote
Use these books from your Drug Info collections in library displays:
- Healthy spirit, healthy community: a guide to drugs and alcohol within our community
- A quick guide to drugs & alcohol, 3rd edition
The following free pamphlets are available to order or download from the Your Room website:
- Drug Facts booklets - a range of 15 titles including alcohol, cannabis, inhalants and caffeine and energy drinks
- Your pocket guide to a good night out
- Your guide to dealing with grog
- NCPIC cannabis pamphlets
- Not Our Way ice and pharmaceutical drugs campaign booklets
- Drug and alcohol information for young people (Drug Info)
- Test Your Knowledge online quiz (Your Room)
Ideas for Activities
Use your Drug Info collection, including the NSW Health Drug Facts booklet collection as inspiration and resources for the following activities during Youth Week:
- run the Drug Facts Street Names Quiz in your library
- make a graffiti art wall on poster paper with facts about drugs, slogans, myths and messages about where to get help
- host a scavenger hunt – offer drug fact related questions. When participants answer correctly you can give them a tip on how to find the next clue. Whoever gets to the finish line first wins a prize!
- use the Know Your Drug Facts Activity Sheet to run a group activity
- hold your own mini drug and alcohol expo with an info display of Drug Facts booklets, Know Your Standards resin kit and related books. Create a poster for your event or use the NSW Health Drug Facts booklets covers (print images from the Your Room website)
- team up with your local CDAT or other community organisation to host a drug and alcohol free event in your library or local area and use the kit to provide drug fact information
- set up your Know Your Drug Facts display in your Youth Area
- hand out promotional packages and show bags
- set up a poster display in your library foyer or throughout your library space
- take your Drug Facts or resin kit along to any pop-up library events.
Make a mocktail
Use the Literary Mocktails resources to hold a mocktail making demonstration or serve mocktails at your youth-related event. You could also hold your own literary-themed mocktail competition.
Host a games afternoon or night.
- Use PCs or mobile devices to play The Knowledge Quiz on the Your Room website.
- Or borrow a copy of the board game The Big Night Out game from Drug Info.
Promotion and reporting
Promotional material items such as pens, postcards, Know Your Standards pocketcards and showbags are available to order for your event or activity.
IMPORTANT! Don't forget to report your event or activity to Drug Info via our online form.
Twitter, Facebook and other forms of social media are effective methods of communication. You could use these channels to provide links to useful online resources in order to reinforce the messages and to support people to make informed decisions and choices about drinking and/or drug use.
Use the following hashtags on Twitter (and Instagram/Tumblr):