Our opening hours are reduced on the Australia Day public holiday, Monday 27 January. More information ›
Public Library Services provides state-wide consultancy and advice on library services for children to library staff and local government.
Children make up a significant component of library clientele, and are the future adult clients and supporters of our library services. For assistance, contact Public Library Services.
Early years literacy and numeracy
Early literacy is the foundational experiences and knowledge that children build before they learn to read and write. Early literacy is the responsibility of many people (families, educators, and communities).
Public libraries play an active role as an informal educational context supporting early language and literacy learning. These programs include ‘Baby Rhyme Time’, ‘Toddler Time’, ‘Preschool Storytime’ and outreach programs for families and book giving projects. Some libraries also offer STEM programs for pre-schoolers including ‘Little Bang Discovery Club’ and ‘Maths Fun in Libraries’.
Early literacy framework
The State Library worked with The Institute of Early Childhood at Macquarie University to investigate best practices in delivering early literacy programs in libraries and to develop an early literacy programming framework for NSW public libraries.
Child safe NSW public libraries
- Childrens Policy Guidelines (PDF 283KB)
- Working with Children Check FAQs (Word 32KB). The State Library of NSW worked with the NSW Office of Children's Guardian to develop FAQs for NSW public library staff. For more information or clarification about the WWCC email email@example.com or call (02) 9286 7219.
- Office of the Children's Guardian: Child-safe resources
- NSW Premier’s Reading Challenge
- Summer Reading Club
- National Simultaneous Storytime
- Children’s Book Council of Australia
Networking and forums
- Email list: youngpeople is the email list for library staff providing services to children and young adults in New South Wales public libraries
- Working Group Wiki: Committee members, agendas, minutes and other information is availabe on the wiki
- ALIA Children’s and Youth Services NSW promotes library services to children and youth, highlighting children's literature and fostering professional development of members