The Library is closed onsite, open online. See updates here.
Wednesday 26 May 2021
Australia’s funniest books from the last two years have been announced by the State Library of NSW TODAY [Wednesday 26 May].
Selected from 48 entries, the shortlisted books for the 2021 Russell Prize for Humour Writing are:
- The F Team by Rawah Arja (Giramondo Publishing)
- Mammoth by Chris Flynn (University of Queensland Press)
- Factory 19 by Dennis Glover (Black Inc.)
- It Sounded Better in My Head by Nina Kenwood (Text Publishing)
- Black is the New White by Nakkiah Lui (Allen & Unwin)
- Burger Force Vol. 4: Punishment by Jackie Ryan (Parentheses Press)
The inaugural $5,000 Humour Writing for Young People Award, offered for a published work intended for readers between the ages of 5 and 12 years, attracted 66 entries. The shortlisted books, selected by a judging panel of five primary school students, are:
- Action Tank – Book 2 by Mike Barry (Mike Barry Was Here)
- Wombat by Philip Bunting (Scholastic Australia)
- Your Birthday was the BEST! by Maggie Hutchings, illustrated by Felicita Sala (Affirm Press)
- Sneaky Shadows by SC Manchild, illustrated by Sam Caldwell (Berbay Books)
- The Stolen Prince of Cloudburst by Jaclyn Moriarty (Allen & Unwin)
- The Underhills: A Tooth Fairy Story by Bob Graham (Walker Books Australia)
The winners will be announced on 17 June 2021.